We work to ensure that children’s rights are enforceable in practice and that children have effective access to justice and procedural safeguards, including access to legal representation.
CCLC has legal aid contracts in immigration and asylum, education, community care, family law and public law. As well as being a legal aid provider, we provide free advice through our Child Law Advice Service and Migrant Children’s Project advice line and outreach work. Our first hand experience of legal advice and representation and expert knowledge of domestic and international law informs our policy priorities for access to justice.
We are part of JustRights, a coalition of charities campaigning for fair access to advice, advocacy and legal representation for children and young people.
Recent briefings and consultation responses
- Evidence for the Justice Committee inquiry into children and young people in custody
- Evidence for the LASPO Post-implementation Review – Exceptional Case Funding
- Immigration legal advice and representation for children, young people and families – Evidence from the Refugee and Migrant Children’s Consortium for the LASPO Post-Implementation Review
- Submission to the Joint Committee on Human Rights inquiry ‘20 years of the Human Rights Act’
- Briefing for House of Commons Westminster Hall debate – Legal aid and the post-implementation review
- Submission to the Joint Committee on Human Rights inquiry ‘Human Rights: attitudes to enforcement’
- Post implementation review of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 – Memorandum to the Justice Select Committee
- Post implementation review of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 – Memorandum to the Justice Select Committee. Detailed Appendices (1-4) of our evidence and analysis
- Response to Bach Commission call for written evidence on access to justice
- Legal support for children and young people – Coram Children’s Legal Centre’s position
- Submission to Ministry of Justice consultation on Reform of Judicial Review
- Further written evidence to the Justice Select Committee inquiry on the Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act (LASPO)
- Briefing on the potential impacts of the civil legal aid residence test on children and young people
- Written evidence to the Justice Select Committee inquiry on the Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (LASPO)