Legal Practice

Our Legal Practice Unit (LPU) has a legal aid contract to provide legal casework advice, assistance and legal representation to clients in relation to community care law matters, such as:

Our LPU has limited capacity to take on community care cases but from time to time we may be able to take on new cases. If you have a case and would like to check if our LPU is able to help, please send us some brief details by email to with the subject heading ‘Representation Request’.

If you do not hear back from us within 5 working days, that unfortunately means we are not able to assist you and we would suggest that you contact other lawyers by contacting the Law Society or using the government legal aid provider search tool. Alternatively you can contact our Child Law Advice Service below.

Housing and homelessness advice for young people

Our Housing Solicitor is able to provide advice and assistance for young people up to the age of 25 living in London and the surrounding area on a range of complex issues relating to housing, including possession proceedings, homelessness, disrepair claims and unlawful eviction. If you experience housing difficulties, you can refer yourself to our service or if you are an agency or professional you can refer directly on behalf of the children or young people which you work with.

Please click here to complete our referral form.

Child Law Advice Service

Coram Children’s Legal Centre’s Child Law Advice Service advises on community care issues, including on the duties and responsibilities of local authorities to children in need. Please visit the Child Law Advice website for full details of the service.

Migrant and refugee children

If you are seeking advice regarding local authority care for a child or young person subject to immigration control, including issues such as age assessments and leaving care support, see our fact sheets or contact the Migrant Children’s Project advice line.