Our Legal Practice Unit (LPU) is staffed by solicitors, trainee solicitors and paralegals.The LPU covers four core areas of law:
Community care law
Immigration and asylum law
Education and discrimination law
Family (Children) law
The LPU has legal aid contract in each of its areas of law and most of the its cases are funded by legal aid. We are very proud that our lawyers are dedicated to helping vulnerable children, young people, parents and carers.
The LPU seeks to provide the best legal advice, assistance and representation it can to its clients despite the difficulties with legal aid. In December 2015 the LPU became a certified member of the Law Society’s Lexcel accreditation scheme following an in-depth assessment. Lexcel accreditation is awarded to legal practices which are able to demonstrate excellence in legal practice management and client care.
Different members of the LPU also hold separate accreditations, including to the following:
- Law Society’s Children Law Accreditation scheme
- Law Society’s Immigration and Asylum Accreditation scheme
We are members of: the Association of Lawyers for Children, the Legal Aid Practitioners Group, the Immigration Law Practitioners Group and LPU lawyers sit on various legal and practice committees and groups.
What our clients have said about us
- “Thanking you again for all your help, without your tenacity and persistence in seeing this case through, we would not have seen this outcome – your efforts are much appreciated by all our family and XXX too of course.”
- “Excellent work. Very professional. Work performed at a very high standard.”
- “Would just like to record my delight that XXX’s case succeeded and to say how much I have admired your own and the Centre’s legal work and commitment.”
- “We have been extremely pleased with all the help and information that has been provided by Coram especially XXX who is an absolute asset to your organisation. In fact, what we have received in the way of help and assistance from him has been excellent service and has been above and beyond what we inspected and will be forever in his debt.”
- “XXX had always shown deep compassion and understanding of all my issues especially how my mental health impacted my pre-natal and post-natal concerns. He was also empathetic and patient and caring towards me, he was always informative and determined to fight for justice in my case with comprehensive letters to social services, updated letters to me and the family. He always provided insightful and accurate information and regular contact, in person, phone and email and always available with prompt answers to queries. Due to XXX’s dedicated efforts, my baby fortunately remained in the parents and family care with my daily contact when well. Greatly appreciated XXXX’s input. Thank you very much.”