Changing a child's surname
Free advice factsheet and information on the processes involved in changing a child's surname and who needs to agree on the change of name. Our factsheet on changing a child's surname will answer questions and issues such as;
- Can I change my child's surname?
- What is a deed poll?
- Will the birth certificate be changed?
- What if I need to show the birth certificate as proof of identification?
- What will happen once I change my child's surname by deed poll?
- Can you change a child's surname without one parent's consent?
- Making an application to court to change a child's surname
- Can you change a child's surname if one parent is absent?
- What happens if the child is looked after by the local authority?
- My ex-partner has changed my child's surname. What can I do?
- Are there any restrictions on changing your name?
- At what age can a child change their own name?
Click here to download this factsheet
Advice on all areas of family, child and education law.
The telephone advice line is staffed 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and a voicemail facility is available outside these hours.
More children's legal advice
Coram Children's Legal Centre have free legal advice factsheets covering a whole range of children and young person related legal advice topics. Please see our free factsheets page for a full alphabetical listing of the free legal factsheets available.
Legal terms glossary
Browse our free legal terms glossary.
If you cannot find the answer you are looking for try asking Lisa, your virtual online assistant, for an immediate response.