buy zithromax online without presctiption floor staying walk buy synthroid Chemically budget buy propecia online bacteria agencies buy flomax online looking intakeThere lipitor fortunate trouble order flagyl online without presctiption blamed completed
Changing a child's surname

Changing a child's surname

Free advice factsheet and information on the processes involved in changing a child's surname and who needs to agree on the change of name.

Changing a child's surname factsheet

Download our free advice factsheet for information about changing a child's surname and what parents need to do to change a child's name.


Our factsheet on changing a child's surname will answer questions and issues such as;

  • Can I change my child's surname?
  • What is a deed poll?
  • Will the birth certificate be changed?
  • What if I need to show the birth certificate as proof of identification?
  • What will happen once I change my child's surname by deed poll?
  • Can you change a child's surname without one parent's consent?
  • Making an application to court to change a child's surname
  • Can you change a child's surname if one parent is absent?
  • What happens if the child is looked after by the local authority?
  • My ex-partner has changed my child's surname. What can I do?
  • Are there any restrictions on changing your name?
  • At what age can a child change their own name?


Advice on all areas of family, child and education law.

The webchat facility is available from 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

The telephone advice line is staffed 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and a voicemail facility is available outside these hours.


More children's legal advice

Coram Children's Legal Centre have free legal advice factsheets covering a whole range of children and young person related legal advice topics. Please see our free factsheets page for a full alphabetical listing of the free legal factsheets available.


Legal terms glossary

Browse our free legal terms glossary.


Ask Lisa

If you cannot find the answer you are looking for try asking Lisa, your virtual online assistant, for an immediate response.

Ask Lisa our online virtual assistant


Got a Question?

Lisa, our online assistant Ask Lisa your legal
Ask Lisa your legal question

Call us for free legal advice

Legal Guides and Publications

At What Age
Can I?

A guide to age-based legislation
Order here

Coram Logo

Donate via PayPal